Functional Health Pattern Assessment (FHP)
Pattern of Health Perception and Health Management:
• How does the person describe current health?
• What does the person do to maintain health?
• What does person know about links between lifestyle and health?
• How big a problem is financing health care for this person?
• Can this person report his/her medications and the reason for taking them?
• If this person has allergies, what does he/she do to prevent/manage them?
• What does the person know about medical problems in his/her family?
• Have there been any important illnesses/injuries in this person’s life?
• Is this person well-nourished?
• How does this person’s food intake compare with recommended food intake?
• Does this person have any disease that affects nutritional/metabolic function?
Pattern of Elimination:
• Are the person’s excretory functions within normal range?
• Does the person have any disease of the digestive system, urinary system, or skin?
Pattern of Activity and Exercise:
• How does this person describe his/her weekly pattern of:
• Does this person have any disease that affects his/her:
Cardio/Respiratory System?–Musculoskeletal System?
• Does this person have any sensory deficits? If yes, are they corrected?
• Can this person express himself/herself clearly and logically?
• What is this person’s level of education?
• Does this person have any disease that affects mental or sensory functions?
• If this person has pain, describe it and its causes.
Pattern of Sleep and Rest:
• Describe this person’s sleep/wake cycle.
• Does this person appear physically rested and relaxed?
Pattern of Self-Perception and Self-Concept:
• Is there anything unusual about this person’s appearance?
• Does this person seem comfortable with his/her appearance?
• Describe this person’s feeling state.
• How does this person describe his/her various roles in life?
• Has, or does this person presently have positive role models for these roles?
• Which relationships are most important to this person at this time?
• Is this person presently going through any changes in role or relationships? If yes, describe changes.
Sexuality – Reproductive Pattern:
• Is this person satisfied with his/her situation related to sexuality?
• Does this person have any disease/dysfunction of the reproductive system?
• Is this person satisfied with his/her plans regarding children?
Pattern of Coping and Stress Tolerance:
• How does this person cope with difficult situations/problems?
• Do these coping mechanism/actions help or make things worse?
• Has this person had any treatment for emotional distress?
Pattern of Value and Beliefs:
• What principles did this person learn as a child that are still important to him/her?
• Does this person identify with any social, religious, ethnic, regional, cultural, or other groups?
• What support systems does this person currently have?