Professional Career Action Plan Outline
Complete this professional career action plan outline after viewing the Career 101 workshop link on the student website. You may need to research specific careers or companies to answer all of the questions.
A professional career plan details career goals, rather than personal goals. This plan will look at your professional strengths and weaknesses, the type of company you wish to work for, any knowledge gaps that exist, and your professional resume.
Create three to five professional goals (for example, “I want to get a job in a health care facility in the emergency services department”), and then complete this outline with those goals in mind.
- Goal #1
- Goal #2
- Goal #3
- Professional strengths
- Personal strengths
- Professional weaknesses
- Personal weaknesses
- Write 4 to 5 sentences, using the strengths and weaknesses above, to describe yourself to a potential employer.
- Ideal Next Objective (or position) – based on your self-assessment, where will you go next?
- Required competencies
- Compensation requirements
- Company culture
- Gap analysis, plan, and execution – these are skills you already have
- Accomplishments (personal and professional)
- Career management gaps (lacking credentials)
- Personal marketing
- Resume (include)
- Cover letter (include)
- Networking – what do you do to network?
- Interviewing techniques and skills
- Periodic career audit
- How often will you evaluate career plan?
- What influences or affects career plans